Sunday, January 24, 2010

Update on Zayne

Let me start off by giving a background on Zayne. When Zayne was 10 months old we knew something wasn't right when he didn't try to sit up on his own, much less when we tried to help him. So we took him to his doctor, who referred us to ECI (Early Childhood Intervention). They have therapists who come to our house and work with him. At the same time, we were also referred to a Growth and Developmental Specialist. She-the GDS- said he was globally and developmentally delayed, about 6 or 7 months. He eventually started sitting up on his own, and then started crawling! It was wonderful!! He was still delayed, but over time he was gaining his muscle control, and starting to do more things. We had gone back to GDS a few more times, and each time we got a little more frustrated. We had been seeing the PA, and felt like she wasn't observing him as much as we thought she should be. She would always say "he is doing great, keep up with ECI, and I will see him in 6 months." and that was it. We continued this, and go the exact same answer.
In September, they ran a blood test on him to just start somewhere. It was called the Prader-Willi Syndrome. His service coordinator with ECI just wanted to start somewhere, she was sure he didn't have this (he showed no signs) but didn't know where to start. Those tests came back negative, so we knew that wasn't his diagnosis. She then referred us to a Neurologist in Houston, she had such a good experience with doctors there with her own daughter, that she wanted the same for us.
So......
We headed down to Houston on Wednesday. Zayne had an appointment with a Neurologist on Thursday at 2. We want to find answers as to why he is delayed developing, if there are answers to be found! Zachary stayed with his Mimi and Pa (my parents)until we got back. We left at 9:45 on Wednesday, and started our journey to the wonderful(not really) city of Houston. Great people, just didn't like the traffic! We saw the doctor on Thursday, and she just observed him. We ended up staying the night so she could get some blood from him. We will make an appointment for an MRI and an EEG, soon. So as for now, we don't have any answers. I will try to keep everyone updated on his progress, and we appreciate all prayers sent his way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment